Wednesday 9 April 2014

My Dynamic Africa: History through photography



I have come to love and appreciate photography over the years and am constantly seeking images which are unique and tell a special kind of story. I have recently come to love old photographs, specifically those taken by African photographers What I find interesting about them is how they seem to come to life, the people in them, that is. People in these photographs represent periods in history which we won't get to experience but can appreciate. I for one am moved by the care-freeness of the people being photographed, their clothes which are rich with prints and their sense of companionship.

I am a proud South African who is learning daily of the rich heritage of my country and my people. Although it cannot be denied that our continent is plagued with a dark past, there were also light moments and these moments were captured by talented photographers like Seydou Keitu in the 1940s. I look at photography blogs now, particularly those of the youth in urban areas and you can pick up that that inspiration was drawn from pictures of our brothers and sisters in the past. I think it's a beautiful concept, the notion of transcendental time and how the past is often omnipresent in the future. Here are some images of what I call my dynamic Africa.












No comments:

Post a Comment