Monday 27 October 2014

HAIR.


We all know the struggle right? But it isn't that much of a struggle anymore.
There is currently a big wave in fashion right now or rather just in general, women are starting to embrace their natural hair. I'm talking about brown girls with their afro-puffs and sleek short cuts. Thanks to icons such as Solange Knowles who have taken a bold step to show off their natural kinky crowns, many women have decided to skip the weave maintenance and embrace the beauty that is their natural hair.. Because of history and other fragmented parts of society, black women have felt pressured to have straight  chemically treated hair. Most of our mothers and their mothers rocked their afros and fast forward 30/40 years later, the big hair movement is back and I must say I am slightly obsessed.
I spoke to some beautiful and smart young women about their natural hair and what they loved most about it. I hope the photographs speak for themselves in saying there is no beauty quite like natural beauty (no discrimination against the relaxed hair/weave loving ladies.)
Here they are:

NALEDI


"The reason I wear dreads is kinda complicated. My mom and sister used to have dreads so I was inspired by them and I also found out how bad relaxers are for your hair. When I was younger I was obsessed with having long straight hair and then I started finding out about concepts like black consciousness. So I decided to get natural hair as a way of accepting myself the way I am and embracing my blackness"

DOMINIQUE




"My favourite thing about my hair is the way it feels when the winds is blowing. usually it's very heavy but at times like those it feels like it's floating and so do I"




SINOVUYO




"I started off as being what people refer to as a "weave girl". I would wake up an hour earlier everyday just to make sure that my hair is just right. The decision to cut my hair had nothing to do with wanting liberation or moving away from weaves. I appreciate all hair types. What i love about having short hair is I can get up from an afternoon nap and be good to go. without anyone noticing anything different "


SOPHIE


"Uhm i think my favourite thing about my natural hair is the fact that it's different. It's kind of exotic, and the texture's amazing"


AYANDA



I love my natural because it's cheaper and easier to maintain. I love the length of my hair (more hair would be Great) and how my natural brown tips refuse to disappear no matter how many times I dye my hair. I love my dreads whether they have kinks/growth or are styled with wax. Natural hair is just a sexier and a healthier alternative for myself and my sensitive scalp. Everyone Loves It 'Cause It'sRare"


I would also like to take this opportunity to bid farewell to a dear friend who has passed on whilst I was creating this blog post, she, as beautiful as these ladies was also a natural hair enthusiast and her hair distinguished her from all of our friends. Apart from that, a beautiful soul. I am inspired to do better and be better becaause of you, Nnete. Love always


1 comment: