Thursday 9 October 2014

Iconic Covers

As you may have noticed I tend to shy way from doing blog posts that are purely about fashion because as South Africans and Africans, there are so many other things that are part of our heritage that we should be proud of. In retrospect, perhaps I should have created this post on Heritage Day but better late than never right? I am not go to go on and on about how important it is for us to know our history because that is something I feel we all ought to know but to simply urge you to think about how far South Africa has come post-Apartheid, in terms of media and in terms of freedom of expression and how grateful we should be for platforms such as these that allow us to exercise our creative freedom. Long story short, I just want to urge you all to pick up a book or scroll the internet and read up on Sophiatown and freedom of the press during the 1940s and 1950s. You will be amazed at what you stumble upon. One thing is for sure, I admire the way in which people did not let their circumstances diminish their quality of life, women especially. Despite the political implications(which I will not go into) black beauty has always been here. Here are some DRUM!magazine covers which happen to be my favourite from the past.








No comments:

Post a Comment